© 2016-2017 Nicole Marques, Married To Crohns, All Rights Reserved


October 10, 2017

About a year ago, I took a trip with my husband to London, England to visit some friends. We were celebrating our one-year wedding anniversary while there and I was so excited to take a trip to a place I haven’t been yet, with my husband – KID FREE!


One problem. One, BIG problem. I was in the middle of a flare up. THE flare up. The one that would eventually leave me off work, living in bed for days, and end up in the hospital for two weeks to have surgery.


You wouldn’t be able to tell from the photos, but I was in SO much pain.



The most exciting thing about visiting a new city is the opportunity to walk about the city streets. Be with the locals. Explore restaurants, museums, shopping, historical sites and so much more. I did not have this excited however. I was dreading every moment. I dreaded being away from a bathroom. I dreaded having to choose a place to eat. I dreaded walking.


My stomach was huge and hard. The pain was unbearable at times. I missed experiencing the nightlife with our friends. I couldn’t wait to get back to our hotel room and into bed and once I was in it, I didn’t want to get out.


Our last day there, I tried my best not to eat anything I felt may trigger me more. It wasn’t enough to hold me over on the eight-hour plane ride home. I was in sevre pain, so much so, I was curled up into the fetal position on my seat, head resting on my husband’s legs. I went to the bathroom several times to try and pass, something, anything. Tried to make myself throw up. Tried to force gas. Nothing was working. I went from curling up on the plane, to curling up on a seat waiting for out bags, to laying in the back seat of the taxi. As soon as we got home, I barely said hello to my kids before I was back in bed.


That night, I couldn’t handle the pain anymore.


October 4th, 2016, I was back in the ER. It would be that moment that took me off work and on a Short-Term Disability. It would be that moment that sent me to the last resort – surgery.


The next three months proved to be a challenge. My Remicade dose was increased. I was set to have a CT scan, an MRI and several blood tests.


Last Thanksgiving, we hosted friends at our place. I just remember being tired, cold, and in pain. I barely ate and frankly, only wanted to be in bed.


This year, we celebrated Thanksgiving at my sister in laws house up north. She has a tradition, where we write down things we are thankful for. We all sit around the fire pit and one by one we share what we are thankful for and throw our paper into the fire, leaving our thoughts and wishes in the hands of the universe.  Although I am thankful for several people in my life, my family of course, the one thing that came to mind was my health. I cry again just thinking about how far I’ve come in a year. How one year can make such a difference.


I am SO grateful for my CLEAN BILL OF HEALTH. I do not take it for granted because frankly, who knows what state I will be in next year.



Nicole Marques


Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Please reload

Follow Me
  • Facebook Basic Black
  • Twitter Basic Black
  • Instagram - Black Circle